Monday, March 7, 2011

Don't be a hater.

Hello my fabulous 11 followers.

I have been holding off posting about my goings on in Thailand because I don’t want you guys to hate me. I am rather living the life here and if I start posting all about it you might be sad. Especially if you are reading this from work. Because if you are, you will want to be sad AND you will want to poke me in the eye. With a chair.
Now that that is out of the way - my home for the next few weeks is Rawai on the island of Phuket. Inspired by my lovely friend Leigh, I decided to sign up for 4 weeks of muay thai training at a gym in the area. To get fit, learn some new skillz and also hopefully lose some weight so that the photographer at my cousin’s wedding doesn’t have to use the wide angle lens.   
I DID doubt my decision when I arrived though last Saturday. After a 347 hour overnight bus trip from Bangkok (which people here totally have judged me for, saying I was being cheap - apparently I should have caught a plane instead), I was struggling to stay awake and was a tad cranky (Me? Cranky? Impossible I hear you say.) I was shown to my room and introduced to my room  mate and it all reminded me a bit too much of boarding school. I was also then very kindly shown the sights by one of the more flamboyant employees at the gym, on the back of his scooter. With his long hair blowing in the wind. Into my mouth.
The bottom line was that I was unsure of things and I wanted to climb into a cupboard and pretend to be a shoe horn.
Anyway turns out my room mate is a hoot and 3 hours after meeting her I was attempting to arrange her hair into dreads. Because she wanted to be a pirate. As you do. And everyone I proceeded to meet was lovely and friendly and spoke English (which was a bit of an issue for me when I was Nigel-No-Mates in Bangkok for 3 days).
The training schedule is basically 6 days a week: training in the morning and afternoon for about 2 hours at a time, with yoga Tuesday and Thursday mornings as well. The first week I kind of eased myself into it and got the hang of it all. However today being Monday and a brand  new start to the week (all well and good if one didn’t go out until 4.30 in the morning after one had drank all the vodka in Thailand on both Friday and Saturday nights) I also had an hour long one-on-one private lesson with one of the trainers. My intention was to accelerate the process of unleashing the muay thai fighting beast within me. But instead it made me want to vom. So I have taken the afternoon off to write this post. Hurray.
So each day, between the morning and afternoon training sessions I might head to the beach or the pool at the 5 star hotel down the road. Here I might lie and read my book and look out at the sea (and the large German ladies with no tops on).  If I am not chilling, I am scooting around on my moped with the gang or eating amazing Thai food or getting my sauna on or having an amazing massage (for about AU$10). 
Before you decide you would greatly like to muay thai my head I had better sign off.
Peace and love and round house kicks to the facial region. X

2 comments: